ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI
R - 2008
B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING
ELECTIVE – V
CE 2047 COMPUTER AIDED DESIGN OF STRUCTURE L T P C
3 0 0 3
The main objective of this programme is to train the student in the use of computers and creating a computer code as well as using commercially available software for the design of Civil Engineering structures.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 9
Fundamentals of CAD - Hardware and software requirements -Design process - Applications and benefits.
UNIT II COMPUTER GRAPHICS 9
Graphic primitives - Transformations -Wire frame modeling and solid modeling -Graphic standards –Drafting packages
UNIT III STRUCTURAL ANALYSIS 9
Fundamentals of finite element analysis - Principles of structural analysis -Analysis packages and applications.
UNIT IV DESIGN AND OPTIMISATION 9
Principles of design of steel and RC Structures -Applications to simple design problems – Optimisation techniques - Algorithms - Linear Programming – Simplex method
UNIT V EXPERT SYSTEMS 9
Introduction to artificial intelligence - Knowledge based expert systems -Rules and decision tables –Inference mechanisms - Simple applications.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. Groover M.P. and Zimmers E.W. Jr., "CAD/CAM, Computer Aided Design and
Manufacturing", Prentice Hall of India Ltd, New Delhi, 1993.
2. Krishnamoorthy C.S.Rajeev S., "Computer Aided Design", Narosa Publishing House, New Delhi, 1993
1. Harrison H.B., "Structural Analysis and Design", Part I and II Pergamon Press, Oxford,
2. Rao S.S., "Optimisation Theory and Applications", Wiley Eastern Limited, New Delhi,
3. Richard Forsyth (Ed), "Expert System Principles and Case Studies", Chapman and Hall, London, 1989.