Wednesday, June 27, 2012
CE 2038 AIR POLLUTION MANAGEMENT -B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING SEMESTER-VII-ELECTIVE – III SYLLABUS- ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI- AFFILIATED INSTITUTIONS R - 2008
ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI-
R - 2008
-B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING
ELECTIVE – III
CE 2038 AIR POLLUTION MANAGEMENT L T P C
3 0 0 3
This subject covers the sources, characteristics and effects of air and noise pollution and the methods of controlling the same. The student is expected to know about source inventory and control mechanism.
UNIT I SOURCES AND EFFECTS OF AIR POLLUTANTS 9
Classification of air pollutants – Particulates and gaseous pollutants – Sources of air pollution – Source inventory – Effects of air pollution on human beings, materials, vegetation, animals – global warming-ozone layer depletion, Sampling and Analysis – Basic Principles of Sampling – Source and ambient sampling – Analysis of pollutants – Principles.
UNIT II DISPERSION OF POLLUTANTS 9
Elements of atmosphere – Meteorological factors – Wind roses – Lapse rate - Atmospheric stability and turbulence – Plume rise – Dispersion of pollutants – Dispersion models – Applications.
UNIT III AIR POLLUTION CONTROL 12
Concepts of control – Principles and design of control measures – Particulates control by gravitational, centrifugal, filtration, scrubbing, electrostatic precipitation – Selection criteria for equipment - gaseous pollutant control by adsorption, absorption, condensation, combustion – Pollution control for specific major industries.
UNIT IV AIR QUALITY MANAGEMENT 8
Air quality standards – Air quality monitoring – Preventive measures - Air pollution control efforts
– Zoning – Town planning regulation of new industries – Legislation and enforcement –
Environmental Impact Assessment and Air quality
UNIT V NOISE POLLUTION 7
Sources of noise pollution – Effects – Assessment - Standards – Control methods – Prevention
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. Anjaneyulu, D., "Air Pollution and Control Technologies", Allied Publishers, Mumbai,
2. Rao, C.S. Environmental Pollution Control Engineering, Wiley Eastern Ltd., New Delhi,
3. Rao M.N., and Rao H. V. N., Air Pollution Control, Tata-McGraw-Hill, New Delhi, 1996.
1. W.L.Heumann, Industrial Air Pollution Control Systems, McGraw-Hill, New Yark, 1997.
2. Mahajan S.P., Pollution Control in Process Industries, Tata McGraw-Hill Publishing
Company, New Delhi, 1991.
3. Peavy S.W., Rowe D.R. and Tchobanoglous G. Environmental Engineering, McGraw
Hill, New Delhi, 1985.
4. Garg, S.K., "Environmental Engineering Vol. II", Khanna Publishers, New Delhi
5. Mahajan, S.P., "Pollution Control in Process Industries", Tata McGraw-Hill, New Delhi,
Anna University Nov/Dec 2012 Timetable Result
To get instant updates like us in Facebook