ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI-
R - 2008
-B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING
ELECTIVE – III
CE 2035 ROCK ENGINEERING L T P C
3 0 0 3
Student gains the knowledge on the mechanics of rock and its applications in underground structures and rock slope stability analysis.
UNIT I CLASSIFICATION AND INDEX PROPERTIES OF ROCKS 7
Geological classification – Index properties of rock systems – Classification of rock masses for engineering purpose.
UNIT II ROCK STRENGTH AND FAILURE CRITERIA 11
Modes of rock failure – Strength of rock – Laboratory and field measurement of shear, tensile and compressive strength – Stress strain behaviour in compression – Mohr-coulomb failure criteria and empirical criteria for failure – Deformability of rock.
UNIT III INITIAL STRESSES AND THEIR MEASUREMENTS 10
Estimation of initial stresses in rocks – influence of joints and their orientation in distribution of stresses – technique for measurements of insitu stresses.
UNIT IV APPLICATION OF ROCK MECHANICS IN ENGINEERING 9
Simple engineering application – Underground openings – Rock slopes – Foundations and mining subsidence.
UNIT V ROCK BOLTING 8
Introduction – Rock bolt systems – rock bolt installation techniques – Testing of rock bolts – Choice of rock bolt based on rock mass condition.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. Goodman P.E., "Introduction to Rock Mechanics", John Wiley and Sons, 1999.
2. Stillborg B., "Professional User Handbook for rock Bolting", Tran Tech Publications,
1. Brow E.T., "Rock Characterisation Testing and Monitoring", Pergaman Press, 1991.
2. Arogyaswamy R.N.P., "Geotechnical Application in Civil Engineering", Oxford and IBH,
3. Hock E. and Bray J., "Rock Slope Engineering, Institute of Mining and Metallurgy", 1991.