ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI-
R - 2008
-B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING
ELECTIVE – III
CE 2034 INTRODUCTION TO SOIL DYNAMICS AND MACHINE
FOUNDATIONS L T P C
3 0 0 3
At the end of this program the, student is expected to assess the dynamic properties of soil and various design parameters required for the design of machine foundation as well as design of foundation for various reciprocating machines.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 9
Vibration of elementary systems-vibratory motion-single degree freedom system-free and forced vibration with and without damping
UNIT II WAVES AND WAVE PROPAGATION 9
Wave propagation in an elastic homogeneous isotropic medium- Raleigh, shear and compression waves-waves in elastic half space
UNIT III DYNAMIC PROPERTIES OF SOILS 9
Elastic properties of soils-coefficient of elastic, uniform and non-uniform compression - shear- effect of vibration dissipative properties of soils-determination of dynamic properties of soil- codal provisions
UNIT IV DESIGN PROCEDURES 9
Design criteria -dynamic loads - simple design procedures for foundations under reciprocating machines - machines producing impact loads - rotary type machines
UNIT V VIBRATION ISOLATION 9
Vibration isolation technique-mechanical isolation-foundation isolation-isolation by location- isolation by barriers- active passive isolation tests.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. S.Prakesh & V.K Puri, Foundation for machines, McGraw-Hill 1993
2. Srinivasulu, P & Vaidyanathan, Hand book of Machine Foundations, McGraw-Hill, 1996
1. Swamisaran, "Soil Dynamics and Machine Foundations", Galgotia Publications
Pvt. Ltd., 1999
2. Kramar S.L, "Geotechnical Earthquake Engineering", Prentice Hall International series, Pearson Education (Singapore) Pvt. Ltd.
3. Kameswara Rao, "Dynamics Soil Tests and Applications", Wheeler Publishing, New
4. Kameswara Rao, "Vibration Analysis and Foundation Dynamics", Wheeler Publishing, New Delhi, 1998
5. IS code of Practice for Design and Construction of Machine Foundations, McGraw-Hill,
6. Moore P.J., "Analysis and Design of Foundation for Vibration", Oxford and IBH, 1995.