Wednesday, June 27, 2012
CE 2032 PAVEMENT ENGINEERING -B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING SEMESTER-VII-ELECTIVE – II SYLLABUS- ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI- AFFILIATED INSTITUTIONS R - 2008
ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI-
R - 2008
-B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING
ELECTIVE – II
CE 2032 PAVEMENT ENGINEERING L T P C
3 0 0 3
Student gains knowledge on various IRC guidelines for designing flexible and rigid pavements. Further, he/she will be in a position to assess quality and serviceability conditions of roads.
UNIT I TYPE OF PAVEMENT AND STRESS DISTRIBUTION ON LAYERED SYSTEM
Introduction - Pavement as layered structure - Pavement types - flexible and rigid -Stress and deflections in pavements under repeated loading
UNIT II DESIGN OF FLEXIBLE PAVEMENTS 9
Flexible pavement design - Empirical - Semi empirical and theoretical Methods - Design procedure as per latest IRC guidelines – Design and specification of rural roads
UNIT III DESIGN OF RIGID PAVEMENTS 9
Cement concrete pavements - Modified Westergard approach - Design procedure as per latest
IRC guidelines - Joints in rigid pavements - Concrete roads and their scope in India.
UNIT IV PERFORMANCE EVALUATION AND MAINTENANCE 9
Pavement Evaluation [Condition and evaluation surveys (Surface Appearance, Cracks, Patches And Pot Holes, Undulations, Ravelling, Roughness, Skid Resistance), Structural Evaluation By Deflection Measurements, Present Serviceability Index]
Pavement maintenance. [IRC Recommendations Only]
UNIT V STABILISATION OF PAVEMENTS 9
Stabilisation with special reference to highway pavements - Choice of stabilisers -Testing and field control –Stabilisation for rural roads in India -use of Geosynthetics (geotextiles & geogrids) in roads.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. Kadiyali, L.R., "Principles and Practice of Highway Engineering", Khanna tech.
Publications, New Delhi, 1989.
2. Wright, P.H., "Highway Engineers", John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, 1996
3. Design and Specification of Rural Roads (Manual), Ministry of rural roads, Government of India, New Delhi, 2001
1. Yoder R.J and Witczak M.W., "Principles of Pavement Design", John Wiley, 1975.
2. Guidelines for the Design of Flexible Pavements, IRC:37 - 2001, The Indian roads
Congress, New Delhi.
3. Guideline for the Design of Rigid Pavements for Highways, IRC:58-1998, The Indian
Roads Congress, New Delh.
Anna University Nov/Dec 2012 Timetable Result
To get instant updates like us in Facebook