Wednesday 27 June 2012
CE 2030 COASTAL ZONE MANAGEMENT -B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING SEMESTER-VII-ELECTIVE – II SYLLABUS- ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI- AFFILIATED INSTITUTIONS R - 2008
ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI-
R - 2008
-B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING
ELECTIVE – II
CE 2030 COASTAL ZONE MANAGEMENT L T P C
3 0 0 3
At the end of the semester, the student shall be able to understand the coastal processes, coastal dynamics, impacts of structures like docks, harbours and quays leading to simple management perspectives along the coastal zone.
UNIT I COASTAL ZONE 9
Coastal zone – Coastal zone regulations – Beach profile – Surf zone – Off shore – Coastal waters – Estuaries – Wet lands and Lagoons – Living resources – Non living resources.
UNIT II WAVE DYNAMICS 10
Wave classification – Airy's Linear Wave theory – Deep water waves – Shallow water waves – Wave pressure – Wave energy – Wave Decay – Reflection, Refraction and Diffraction of waves
– Breaking of waves – Wave force on structures – Vertical – Sloping and stepped barriers – Force on piles.
UNIT III WAVE FORECASTING AND TIDES 9
Need for forecasting - SMB and PNJ methods of wave forecasting – Classification of tides – Darwin's equilibrium theory of tides – Effects on structures – seiches, Surges and Tsunamis.
UNIT IV COASTAL PROCESSES 8
Erosion and depositional shore features – Methods of protection – Littoral currents – Coastal aquifers – Sea water intrusion – Impact of sewage disposal in seas.
UNIT V HARBOURS 9
Structures near coast – Selection of site – Types and selection of break waters – Need and mode of dredging – Selection of dredgers – Effect of Mangalore forest.
TOTAL: 45 PERIODS
1. Richard Sylvester, "Coastal Engineering, Volume I and II", Elseiner Scientific Publishing
2. Quinn, A.D., "Design & Construction of Ports and Marine Structures", McGraw-Hill Book
1. Ed. A.T. Ippen, "Coastline Hydrodynamics", McGraw-Hill Inc., New York, 1993
2. Dwivedi, S.N., Natarajan, R and Ramachandran, S., "Coastal Zone Management in
Anna University Nov/Dec 2012 Timetable Result
To get instant updates like us in Facebook