Wednesday, June 27, 2012
CE 2026 TRAFFIC ENGINEERING AND MANAGEMENT -B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING SEMESTER-VII-ELECTIVE – II SYLLABUS- ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI- AFFILIATED INSTITUTIONS R - 2008
ANNA UNIVERSITY, CHENNAI-
R - 2008
-B.E. CIVIL ENGINEERING
ELECTIVE – II
CE 2026 TRAFFIC ENGINEERING AND MANAGEMENT L T P C
3 0 0 3
The students acquire comprehensive knowledge of traffic surveys and studies such as 'Volume Count', 'Speed and delay', 'Origin and destination', 'Parking', 'Pedestrian' and 'Accident surveys'. They achieve knowledge on design of 'at grade' and 'grade separated' intersections. They also become familiar with various traffic control and traffic management measures.
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 9
Significance and scope, Characteristics of Vehicles and Road Users, Skid Resistance and Braking Efficiency (Problems), Components of Traffic Engineering- Road, Traffic and Land Use Characteristics
UNIT II TRAFFIC SURVEYS AND ANALYSIS 9
Surveys and Analysis - Volume, Capacity, Speed and Delays, Origin and Destination, Parking, Pedestrian Studies, Accident Studies and Safety Level of Services- Basic principles of Traffic Flow.
UNIT III TRAFFIC CONTROL 9
Traffic signs, Road markings, Design of Traffic signals and Signal co-ordination (Problems), Traffic control aids and Street furniture, Street Lighting, Computer applications in Signal design
UNIT IV GEOMETRIC DESIGN OF INTERSECTIONS 9
Conflicts at Intersections, Classification of 'At Grade Intersections, - Channallised Intersections
- Principles of Intersection Design, Elements of Intersection Design, Rotary design, Grade
Separation and interchanges - Design principles.
UNIT V TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT 9
Traffic Management- Transportation System Management (TSM) - Travel Demand Management (TDM), Traffic Forecasting techniques, Restrictions on turning movements, One- way Streets, Traffic Segregation, Traffic Calming, Tidal flow operations, Exclusive Bus Lanes, Introduction to Intelligent Transportation System (ITS).
1. Kadiyali L R, Traffic Engineering and Transport Planning, Khanna Technical
Publications, Delhi, 2000.
2. Khanna K and Justo C E G, Highway Engineering, Khanna Publishers, Roorkee, 2001.
1. Indian Roads Congress (IRC) specifications: Guidelines and special publications on
Traffic Planning and Management
2. Guidelines of Ministry of Road Transport and Highways, Government of India.
3. Subhash C.Saxena, A Course in Traffic Planning and Design, Dhanpat Rai Publications,
New Delhi, 1989.
4. Transportation Engineering – An Introduction, C.Jotin Khisty, B.Kent Lall, Prentice Hall of India Pvt Ltd, 2006.
Anna University Nov/Dec 2012 Timetable Result
To get instant updates like us in Facebook