B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2010
Electrical and Electronics Engineering
GE 2211 — ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE AND ENGINEERING
(Common to Chemical Engineering, Textile Technology, Instrumentation and
Control Engineering, Biotechnology, Plastic Technology, Electronics and
Instrumentation Engineering, Polymer Technology and
Textile Technology (Fashion Technology))
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 Marks
Answer ALL questions
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 Marks)
1. What are food chains? Mention their types.
2. What are the abiotic components of an ecosystem?
3. Give a comprehensive definition for air pollution.
4. Mention four causes of floods.
5. What are the present food problems of the world?
6. What are the effects of over utilization of ground water?
7. Define sustainable development.
8. What are the main causes of global climatic changes?
9. What is 'Crude birth rate' and 'total fertility rate'?
10. Mention any four fundamental rights of the individuals.
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 Marks)
11. (a) (i) Explain the features of ecological pyramids including inverted
pyramids. (Marks 8)
(ii) What are the threats to biodiversity? Discuss. (Marks 8)
(b) (i) Explain the components, structure and functions of a desert
ecosystem. (Marks 8)
(ii) What are the values of biodiversities? Explain. (Marks 8)
12. (a) (i) Elaborate the various ways of controlling the noise pollution. (Marks 8)
(ii) Define and give two example each for gaseous air pollutant
suspended particulate matter, photochemical oxidant, and
hazardous pollutant. (Marks 8)
(b) (i) Discuss the effects and control of thermal pollution. (Marks 8)
(ii) List the role of an individual in prevention of pollution. (Marks 8)
13. (a) (i) What are the ecological services rendered by forests? Discuss. (Marks 8)
(ii) Discuss the different ways of harnessing solar energy? (Marks 8)
(b) (i) Discuss any four factors responsible for land degradation (Marks 8)
(ii) Discuss the problems of fertilizers and pesticides in modern
agriculture. (Marks 8)
14. (a) (i) How can we attain sustainable development? Explain. (Marks 8)
(ii) Mention the salient features of The Wildlife Protection Act, 1972
and Forest Conservation Act, 1986. (Marks 8)
(b) (i) How can we make energy resources sustainable? Explain. (Marks 8)
(ii) What are the components of watershed management? Discuss. (Marks 8)
15. (a) (i) List the reasons for high population growth in India. (8)
(ii) Discuss the role of information technology in environment. (8)
(b) (i) List various women welfare programmes of India. (8)
(ii) Discuss the variation age structure of population among nation
using Age - pyramids. (8)