183202 (CY2161) Engineering Chemistry II Second Semester B.E./B.Tech.Degree Examinations, MAY/JUNE 2010 question paper
B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATIONS, MAY/JUNE 2010
Common to all branches (except Marine Engg)
CY2161 Engineering Chemistry II
Time: Three Hours Maximum: 100 Marks
Answer ALL Questions
Part A - (10 x 2 = 20 Marks)
1. How will you predict the spontaneity of any redox system using emf?
2. De¯ne a reference electrode with an example.
3. Using chemical equations, state the mechanism of corrosion of iron in weakly alkaline
4. Give the principle of electro-deposition.
5. Distinguish between coal and coke.
6. What are the advantages of compressed natural gas?
7. How many phases and components are present in the following system?
CaCO3(s) CaO(s) + CO2(g)
8. Give the percentage composition of bronze.
9. Calculate the concentration in ¹g/ml of a solution of organic compound whose
molecular mass i s 211.2, in 0.11 M HCl giving an absorbance at its ¸max 281 nm
of 0.612 in a 4 cm cell. The major absorptivity at 281 nm is 5372 mole¡1 cm¡1.
10. Calculate the number of modes of vibrations for the following molecules : (a) CH4
Part B - (5 x 16 = 80 Marks)
11. (a) (i) Diferentiate reversible and irreversible cells. Illustrate with examples. (Marks 8)
(ii) Describe the construction of a saturated calomel electrode. Write its elec-
trode reaction. (Marks 8)
11. (b) Give a detailed account of conduct o metric tit rations. (Marks 16)
12. (a) (i) When does the electrochemical corrosion occur? Describe the mechanism
of electrochemical corrosion. (Marks 8)
(ii) Write a brief note on cathodic protection methods. (Marks 8)
12. (b) (i) What are the constituents and their functions in paints? (Marks 6)
(ii) Explain the main objectives of electroplating. Give an account of the
method used in electroplating of gold. (Marks 10)
13. (a) (i) How i s proximate analysis of coal carried out? What are its significance?
(ii) What i s cracked gasoline? How is it obtained? (Marks 6)
13. (b) (i) How i s °ue gas analysis carried out using Orsat's apparatus? What are
its signicanes? (Marks 10)
(ii) What is synthetic petrol? How is it obtained? (Marks 6)
14. (a) (i) State phase rule and explain the terms involved. (Marks 8)
(ii) Draw and explain the phase diagram of two component system with an
example. (Marks 8)
14. (b) (i) What are the objectives of heat treatment? Discuss the diferent methods
of heat treatment of steel. (Marks 8)
(ii) What are alloys? Write the chemical composition and uses of (1)heat-
treatable stainless steel and (2) non-heat-treatable stainless steel.
15. (a) (i) State Beer-Lambert's law. Mention its applications and limitations. (Marks 6)
(ii) Explain the instrumentation of IR spectrometer with block diagram. (Marks 10)
15. (b) (i) Explain briefly the principle of a flame photometer. A sample solution i s
found to contain KCl and NaCl. How will you determine the amount of
NaCl alone present in the solution using a flame photometer? (Marks 10)
(ii) Compare : Flame photometry and Atomic absorption spectroscopy. (Marks 6)