Reg. No. :
B.E./B.Tech. DEGREE EXAMINATION, JUNE 2010
Electrical and Electronics Engineering
GE2152 — BASIC CIVIL AND MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
(Common to Bio-medical Engineering, Electronics and Communication Engineering,
Electronics and Instrumentation Engineering, Information Technology, Computer
Science and Engineering, Instrumentation and Control Engineering)
Time : Three hours Maximum : 100 Marks
Answer ALL Questions
PART A — (10 × 2 = 20 Marks)
1. State the two principles of surveying.
2. How are bricks classified?
3. Define bearing capacity of soil.
4. Define stress and strain.
5. What is the use of surge tank in hydropower plants?
6. Give two examples for positive displacement pumps.
7. What is the function of a carburetor?
8. Compare two stroke and four stroke engines with regard to power output and
thermal efficiency, for the same speed and cylinder capacity.
9. Define Ton of Refrigeration.
10. State the values of DBT and RH for human comfort in India.
PART B — (5 × 16 = 80 Marks)
11. (a) The following perpendicular offsets were taken at 10 m intervals from a
survey line to an irregular boundary line: 3.15 m, 4.30 m, 8.20 m,
6.85 m, 7.60 m, 4.20 m, 5.60 m, and 4.30 m. Calculate the area enclosed
between the survey line, irregular boundary line, first and last offsets by
trapezoidal rule. [Marks 16]
(b) What are the different types of cement? Explain their properties and
uses. [Marks 16]
12. (a) Describe with neat sketches:
(i) Any one type of shallow foundation
(ii) Pile foundation. [Marks 16]
(b) Describe with neat sketches
(i) Arch culvert
(ii) T-Beam and Slab Bridge. [Marks 16]
13. (a) Draw a neat Layout of a typical Steam Power Plant and explain the
various circuits involved. [Marks 16]
(b) With the help of suitable sketches, explain the working of a Reciprocating
Pump. What are the advantages of centrifugal pumps over reciprocating
pumps? [Marks 16]
14. (a) Explain the working of a two stroke Petrol engine. What are the merits
and demerits of two stroke engines? [Marks 16]
(b) Explain the principle of working of a four stroke Diesel engine with
suitable sketches. What are the merits and demerits of four stroke
engines? [Marks 16]
15. (a) With the help of flow diagram explain the principle of working of a
vapour compression refrigeration system. Compare vapour absorption
refrigeration with vapour compression refrigeration. [Marks 16]
(b) With a neat sketch, explain in detail the working of a window type room
air conditioner. [Marks 16]