UNIT III – Power Plant Engineering, Pumps and Turbines. 1. Define power plant.
2. What are the different types of power plants?
3. State the function of the condenser in the steam power plant.
4. What is the function of moderator in nuclear power plant?
5. What are the materials used as a moderator in a nuclear power plant?
6. What are the fuels used in a nuclear power plant.
7. List out the factors to be considered for the selection of site for the hydro electric power plant.
8.State the reason why the steam power plant is preferred than the other plants.
9. What is a cooling tower?
10. What is the function of a penstock?
11. What is meant by nuclear fission?
12. What is the function of a intercooler in gas turbine power plant?
13. Name the different components used in a gas turbine power plant.
14. What is radiation shielding.
15. What are the different types of hydro power plants?
16. State the demerits of steam power plant.
17. List out the applications of gas turbine power plant.
18. Name the locations where nuclear power plants were installed in India.
19. Define steam turbine.
20 List out the main parts of a steam turbine.
21 How steam turbines are classified.
22. Differentiate between impulse and reaction turbine.
23. Relative velocity of a steam increases in a reaction turbine – Justify.4.What is meant by CI Engine.
UNIT IV 1.What is an engine?
2.What are the different types of heat engine?
3.What is meant by SI Engine
5.List out the main components of a SI Engine.
6.What is a four stroke cycle engine?
7.What is the function of a carburetor?
8.What is the fundamental difference between two stroke and four stroke engine.
9.Why fuel is injected in a CI Engine.
10. Mention the different types of ignition systems used in SI engine.
11. What is the function of a choke, in a petrol engine?
12. What is the function of a spark plug, in a petrol engine?
13. What is the function of a fuel pump in a diesel engine?
14. Define fuel injector.
15. What are the different types of cooling system used in IC engines.
16. Define lubrication.
17. Mention some engine parts, that require lubrication.
18. What are the different types of lubrication systems in IC Engines.
19. How boilers are classified.
20. List the advantages of high pressure boilers.
21. How modern boilers differ from olden day boilers.
22. What is the function of an economiser.
23. List out the boiler mountings.
24. What is the difference between boiler mountings and accessories.
25. What is the function of a super heater.
26. What is the function of a air pre-heater.
27. Give few examples for water tube boiler.
28. Give few examples for fire tube boiler.
UNIT V 1. Define Refrigeration. 2.What is a refrigerator?
3. Define Refrigerant.
4.Give some examples for refrigerant.
5. Define COP
6.List out the properties of a good refrigerant.
7.State the function ofa compressor in refrigeration system.
8.Give the applications of a refrigeration.
9.Define air conditioning.
10.Define Relative humidity.
11. Define DBT
12. Define WBT
14. Define Dew point temperature.
15. Define psychrometry.
16. Define relative humidity.
17. Differentiate between humidification and dehumidification.
18. What is the function of a capillary tube.
19.Differentiate between window air conditioner and package type air conditioner.
20. Draw the layout of a domestic refrigerator.
UNIT III 1. Draw the layout of the steam power plant and explain.
2. Sketch the diesel power plant and explain its working principle, also state its merits and demerits.
3. Draw the general arrangement of a nuclear power plant and explain its working. List out its merits and demerits.
4. Explain how energy conversion is taking place in a solar power plant, with a line sketch.
5. Draw the layout of a wind mill and state its advantages and disadvantages.
6. Give the schematic layout of a hydro electric power plant and explain the function of its each component.
7. What is the principle of a tidal power generation.Also explain the low tide and high tide systems.
8. Define a centrifugal pump, explain the working of a single stage pump with a sketch.
9. Explain the construction and working principle of a reciprocating pump with neat sketch. Also state its applications.
10. With pressure velocity diagram explain the working of a single stage impulse turbine.
11. With pressure velocity diagram explain the working of a reaction turbine.
12. Differentiate between impulse and reaction turbine.
13. With a neat sketch, briefly explain about Lamont Boiler
14. Explain the construction and working principle of Cochran Boiler.
15. Name the important boiler mountings and briefly explain their functions
16. Name some of the boiler accessories, and explain their functions with sketches.
1. With neat sketch, explain the major parts of an IC Engine.
2. Explain the working principle of four stroke petrol engine with neat sketches.
3. With neat sketches, explain the working principle of two stroke petrol engines.
5. Explain the working principle of a four stroke Diesel engine with neat sketch.
6. With line diagram, explain the working principle of two stroke diesel engine.
7. Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of a CI engines over SI Engines.
8. Compare two stroke and four stroke engines.
9. Compare air cooling and water cooling system used in IC engines.
10. Explain briefly about knocking and detonation.
11. With a neat sketch briefly explain about fuel injector.
1. With a neat sketch explain the layout of a window air conditioning.
2. Draw the layout of a vapour compression refrigeration system, and explain the working principle of it.
3. With a simple circuit diagram, explain the working principle of the vapour absorption refrigeration system.
4.Mention and describe the different types of refrigerants used.
5.With a neat diagram, briefly explain about the split type room air conditioner.
6.Draw the layout of multi split air conditioner, and explain the working principle of it.
7. Write down the definitions of the following: (a) DBT (b) WBT (c) Relative Humidity (d) Dew point temperature (e) humidity (f) Psychrometry (g) COP