RF behaviour of passive components, Chip components and circuit board
considerations, Review of transmission lines, Impedance and admittance transformation,
Parallel and series connection of networks, ABCD and scattering parameters, Analysis
of amplifier using scattering parameter. RF filter – Basic resonator and filter
configurations – Butterworth and Chebyshev filters. Implementation of microstrip filter
design. Band pass filter and cascading of band pass filter elements.
UNIT II RF TRANSISTOR AMPLIFIER DESIGN 9
Impedance matching using discrete components. Microstrip line matching networks.
Amplifier classes of operation and biasing networks – Amplifier power gain, Unilateral
circle and conditional stability, Simultaneous conjugate matching for unconditionally
stable transistors. Broadband amplifiers, High power amplifiers and multistage
amplifiers.12 =0) – Simple input and output matching networks – Bilateral design - Stability
UNIT III DESIGN OF POWER SUPPLIES 9
DC power supply design using transistors and SCRs, Design of crowbar and foldback
protection circuits, Switched mode power supplies, Forward, flyback, buck and boost
converters, Design of transformers and control circuits for SMPS.
UNIT IV DESIGN OF DATA ACQUISITION SYSTEMS 9
Amplification of Low level signals, Grounding, Shielding and Guarding techniques, Dual
slope, quad slope and high speed A/D converters, Microprocessors Compatible A/D
converters, Multiplying A/D converters and Logarithmic A/D converters, Sample and
Hold, Design of two and four wire transmitters.
UNIT V DESIGN OF PRINTED CIRCUIT BOARDS 9
Introduction to technology of printed circuit boards (PCB), General lay out and rules and
parameters, PCB design rules for Digital, High Frequency, Analog, Power Electronics
and Microwave circuits, Computer Aided design of PCBs.
TOTAL= 45 PERIODS
1. Reinhold Luduig and Pavel Bretchko, RF Circuit Design – Theory and Applications,
Pearson Education, 2000.
2. Sydney Soclof, Applications of Analog Integrated Circuits, Prentice Hall of India,
3. Walter C.Bosshart, Printed Circuit Boards – Design and Technology, TMH, 1983.
1. Keith H.Billings, Handbook of Switched Mode Supplies, McGraw-Hill Publishing Co.,
2. Michael Jaacob, Applications and Design with Analog Integrated Circuits, Prentice
Hall of India, 1991.
3. Otmar Kigenstein, Switched Mode Power Supplies in Practice, John Wiley and Sons,
4. Muhammad H.Rashid, Power Electronics – Circuits, Devices and Applications,Prentice Hall of India, 2004.
EC2046 ADVANCED ELECTRONIC SYSTEM DESIGN L T P C
3 0 0 3
UNIT I INTRODUCTION TO RF DESIGN 9