EC2044 TELECOMMUNICATION SWITCHING AND NETWORKS L T P C
3 0 0 3
UNIT I MULTIPLEXING 9
Transmission Systems, FDM Multiplexing and modulation, Time Division Multiplexing,
Digital Transmission and Multiplexing: Pulse Transmission, Line Coding, Binary N-Zero
Substitution, Digital Biphase, Differential Encoding, Time Division Multiplexing, Time
Division Multiplex Loops and Rings, SONET/SDH: SONET Multiplexing Overview,
SONET Frame Formats, SONET Operations, Administration and Maintenance, Payload
Framing and Frequency Justification, Virtual Tributaries, DS3 Payload Mapping, E4
Payload Mapping, SONET Optical Standards, SONET Networks. SONET Rings:
Unidirectional Path-Switched Ring, Bidirectional Line-Switched Ring.
UNIT II DIGITAL SWITCHING 9
Switching Functions, Space Division Switching, Time Division Switching, twodimensional
Switching: STS Switching, TST Switching, No.4 ESS Toll Switch, Digital
Cross-Connect Systems, Digital Switching in an Analog Environment. Elements of SS7
UNIT III NETWORK SYNCHRONIZATION CONTROL AND MANAGEMENT 9
Timing: Timing Recovery: Phase-Locked Loop, Clock Instability, Jitter Measurements,
Systematic Jitter. Timing Inaccuracies: Slips, Asynchronous Multiplexing, Network
Synchronization, U.S. Network Synchronization, Network Control, Network
UNIT IV DIGITAL SUBSCRIBER ACCESS 9
ISDN: ISDN Basic Rate Access Architecture, ISDN U Interface, ISDN D Channel
Protocol. High-Data-Rate Digital Subscriber Loops: Asymmetric Digital Subscriber Line,
VDSL. Digital Loop Carrier Systems: Universal Digital Loop Carrier Systems, Integrated
Digital Loop Carrier Systems, Next-Generation Digital Loop Carrier, Fiber in the Loop,
Hybrid Fiber Coax Systems, Voice band Modems: PCM Modems, Local Microwave
Distribution Service, Digital Satellite Services.
UNIT V TRAFFIC ANALYSIS 9
Traffic Characterization: Arrival Distributions, Holding Time Distributions, Loss Systems,
Network Blocking Probabilities: End-to-End Blocking Probabilities, Overflow Traffic,
Delay Systems: Exponential service Times, Constant Service Times, Finite Queues.
TOTAL= 45 PERIODS
1. J. Bellamy, “Digital Telephony”, John Wiley, 2003, 3
2. JE Flood, “Telecommunications Switching, Traffic and Networks”, Pearson.rd Edition.
1. R.A.Thomson, “Telephone switching Systems”, Artech House Publishers, 2000.
2. W. Stalling, “ Data and Computer Communications”, Prentice Hall, 1993.
3. T.N.Saadawi, M.H.Ammar, A.E.Hakeem, “Fundamentals of Telecommunication
Networks”, Wiley Interscience, 1994.
4. W.D. Reeve, “Subscriber Loop Signaling and Transmission Hand book”, IEEE
Press(Telecomm Handbook Series), 1995.
5. Viswanathan. T., “Telecommunication Switching System and Networks”, PrenticeHall of India Ltd., 1994.