EC2033 POWER ELECTRONICS L T P C
3 0 0 3
UNIT I POWER ELECTRONICS DEVICES 9
Characteristics of power devices – characteristics of SCR, diac, triac, SCS, GTO, PUJT
– power transistors – power FETs – LASCR – two transistor model of SCR – Protection
of thyristors against over voltage – over current, dv/dt and di/dt.
UNIT II TRIGGERING TECHNIQUES 9
Turn on circuits for SCR – triggering with single pulse and train of pulses – synchronizing
with supply – triggering with microprocessor – forced commutation – different techniques
– series and parallel operations of SCRs.
UNIT III CONTROLLED RECTIFIERS 9
Converters – single phase – three phase – half controlled and fully controlled rectifiers –
Waveforms of load voltage and line current under constant load current – effect of
transformer leakage inductance – dual converter.
UNIT IV INVERTERS 9
Voltage and current source inverters, resonant, Series inverter, PWM inverter. AC and
DC choppers – DC to DC converters – Buck, boost and buck – boost.
UNIT V INDUSTRIAL APPLICATIONS 9
DC motor drives – Induction and synchronous motor drives – switched reluctance and
brushless motor drives – Battery charger – SMPS – UPS – induction and dielectric
TOTAL= 45 PERIODS
1. Muhamed H.Rashid : Power Electronics Circuits, Devices and Applications, 3rd
Edition. 2004 PHI.
2. M.D. Singh and K.B. Kanchandani, Power Electronics, 2nd Edition, TMH, 2007.
1. Sen: Power Electronics, TMH, 1987.
2. Dubey: Thyristorised Power Controllers, Wiley Eastern 1986.
3. Vithayathil: Power Electronics – Principles and Applications, McGraw-Hill, 1995.
4. Lander: Power Electronics, 3
5. Jacob, Power Electronics, Thomson Learning, 2002.6. V.R. Moorthy, Power Electronics, Oxford University Press, 2005.rd Edition, McGraw-Hill, 1994.