Tuesday, June 5, 2012
EC2303 COMPUTER ARCHITECTURE AND ORGANIZATIONL T P C
3 0 0 3
UNIT I INTRODUCTION 9
Computing and Computers, Evolution of Computers, VLSI Era, System Design- Register
Level, Processor - Level, CPU Organization, Data Representation, Fixed – Point
Numbers, Floating Point Numbers, Instruction Formats, Instruction Types. Addressing
UNIT II DATA PATH DESIGN 9
Fixed Point Arithmetic, Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and Division, Combinational
and Sequential ALUs, Carry look ahead adder, Robertson algorithm, booth’s algorithm,
non-restoring division algorithm, Floating Point Arithmetic, Coprocessor, Pipeline
Processing, Pipeline Design, Modified booth’s Algorithm
UNIT III CONTROL DESIGN 9
Hardwired Control, Microprogrammed Control, Multiplier Control Unit, CPU Control Unit,
Pipeline Control, Instruction Pipelines, Pipeline Performance, Superscalar Processing,
UNIT IV MEMORY ORGANIZATION 9
Random Access Memories, Serial - Access Memories, RAM Interfaces, Magnetic
Surface Recording, Optical Memories, multilevel memories, Cache & Virtual Memory,
Memory Allocation, Associative Memory.
UNIT V SYSTEM ORGANIZATION 9
Communication methods, Buses, Bus Control, Bus Interfacing, Bus arbitration, IO and
system control, IO interface circuits, Handshaking, DMA and interrupts, vectored
interrupts, PCI interrupts, pipeline interrupts, IOP organization, operation systems,
multiprocessors, fault tolerance, RISC and CISC processors, Superscalar and vector
TOTAL= 45 PERIODS
1. John P.Hayes, ‘Computer architecture and Organisation’, Tata McGraw-Hill, Third
2. V.Carl Hamacher, Zvonko G. Varanesic and Safat G. Zaky, “ Computer
Organisation“, V edition, McGraw-Hill Inc, 1996.
1. Morris Mano, “Computer System Architecture”, Prentice-Hall of India, 2000.
2. Paraami, “Computer Architecture”, BEH R002, Oxford Press.
3. P.Pal Chaudhuri, , “Computer organization and design”, 2nd Ed., Prentice Hall of
4. G.Kane & J.Heinrich, ‘ MIPS RISC Architecture ‘, Englewood cliffs, New Jersey,
Prentice Hall, 1992.
Anna University Nov/Dec 2012 Timetable Result
To get instant updates like us in Facebook